I’m reading the Wikipedia article on United States Presidential Succession.
Some interesting facts from the article:
- Only the Vice President can succeed to the presidency when filling in for an unfit/unable President. All others only serve as “Acting President” even for years.
- John Tyler was the first Vice President to become President due to succession. William Henry Harrison was the President that died in office.
- President John Tyler returned letters that were addressed to “Acting President of the United States”.
- The Postmaster General used to be part of the presidential succession line, but was removed when it was removed as a Cabinet position in 1971.
- Until the ratification of the 25th amendment in 1967, the office of Vice President was left vacant when the VP became President.