I was intrigued by the choice of not only a Republican, but one that has been mentioned as a potential Republican candidate for 2012. It seems like the Obama administration is trying to engage in positive reinforcement, as Huntsman has been cited as a person that seeks to moderate the Republicans. He has taken fire from his own party for his pro-civil unions stance, having had a Michigan county fundraiser cancelled due to the view that he had abandoned Republican principles.
His approval ratings in Utah have ranged from 80-90%.
- Son of a chemical company billionaire; made millions himself as chairman and CEO at Hunstman Corporation
- Served as a Mormon missionary in Taiwan; fluent in Mandarin
- Re-elected in 2008 to 2nd term as Utah governor
- Staff assistant under Reagan
- U.S. Ambassador to Singapore under George H.W. Bush
- Deputy U.S. trade representative and U.S. trade ambassador under George W. Bush
- Has seven children, including two adopted daughters, one from China and one from India
- Dropped out of high school to play in a rock band
Interesting Political Stances
- Pro-civil unions, anti-gay marriage.
- Very involved in environmental issues, especially in regard to partnering with China to confront global climate change
- Working on health care reform in Utah